Too consumed by parenting? Is that possible?

Over the past 8 years, I've often said "being a mom is my life" or "my son is my world." I thought of those phrases earlier today when I was sitting having lunch with my good friend. We were talking about different things and I said something along the lines of "I've probably allowed being a mom to consume too much of my world."

I just wonder is that possible. I think protecting, providing for and teaching my son is my #1 job in life and everything comes after that but at what cost? I don't date and haven't been in a relationship in 9 years (because I don't want to bring men around my son), I pretty much never get out and do anything that's not kid related and all of my choices well, most are dictated by the thought of how will this affect my son.

One potential downside I see is that my son could become self-centered. I already see a bit of this (could just be the age)now. I think he has gotten so used to having all of my time, that he just expects it. For instance, a couple of Fridays ago, I arranged for him to stay with his dad rare event and he begged me not to make him stay. He even asked me if I was going on a date..LOL!

This parenting thing is tough...

Comments

Popular Posts